since developing object oriented software is so cumbersome in C and we are all resistent to doing it in C++

Alex Peyser peyser.alex at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 09:53:10 CST 2009

Have y'all considered a different approach?

I've had endless trouble integrating petsc into my system because the "object-
oriented" C is both only partially "object oriented" while simultaneously
making access to the underlying functionality obscure. Some "objects" have
some methods, and others are missing; some have the same functionality through
higher level interfaces or lower level interfaces... and so on.

Maybe you need to split this into two projects -- one a set of normal C
interfaces to the kernels, communications, etc -- the underlying functionality
-- and a separate "object oriented" layer on top of it written in whatever
language you prefer (I find python to be a very, very evil language, but y'all
seem to have a taste for it).

This would both allow the functionality to be adapted to multiple overlaying
interfaces, and keep the low overhead to initial adoption. It seems that the
current approach is a shoe horn of both very low level and high level behavior
into the same programming paradigm -- which always leads to a coding mess.

It seems particularly ugly to bind low level languages such as C++ and Fortran
onto a higher level, interpreted language like Python -- binding C onto python
which then binds onto C! And then binding any other language would be a
sequence of binding X onto C++ to bind onto python to bind onto C!

Alex Peyser