since developing object oriented software is so cumbersome in C and we are all resistent to doing it in C++

Dima Karpeyev karpeev at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 14:20:54 CST 2009

Cython can accelerate almost any Python code nearly immediately
(although it supports a somewhat restricted subset of Python).
This is simply due to converting it to equivalent C code that is compiled
and runs within CPython.

Then, chunks of the Python code can be explicitly typed, which can result
in a further substantial speedup.  In my experience, however, the code becomes
much less readable (Cython ain't no Python).  Also, the compilation process
becomes somewhat cumbersome: Cython is followed by cc, which slows the
development process.  In addition, debugging can be tricky.  It is
helped a little
bit by the fact that the Cython-generated C includes the original Cython code
as comments.

Using PyCUDA after Cython as a further accelerator is definitely a
promising route:
that's what I'm currently doing to two codes I had to develop from
scratch (and I think Jay
Bardhan will take that route on a brand-new code too).

Dmitry.