VecLoadIntoVector and double dispatch

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 08:57:17 CST 2009

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> [...]
>> without modifying DMComposite (not okay since my viewer is not part of
>> PETSc).
>>
>>    You know my answer. The Viewers are abstractions of file IO, ;
>>> except instead of having only methods like read()/write() bytes it has
>>> somewhat "higher level" operations. Note: these methods can include
>>> graphics operations for example that are still essentially like
>>> writes(). YOU are making the viewers into these strange "all knowing"
>>> beasts which I think is wrong.
>>>

>> Current PETSc viewers put minimal metadata and associations into a file,
>> the application is mostly responsible for "knowing" what was in the file
>> and wiring everything up correctly.  I'm trying to get more of this in
>> the file, partly to go with a VisIt plugin that is not tied to a
>> specific model.  I don't want to maintain a bunch of manual calls to
>> HDF5 to walk this file in the VisIt plugin especially when this
>> functionality is useful in other contexts [4].  I also hate C++.  ;-)
>>
>> So I've been putting stuff like walking the header and attributes to
>> find out what's there, selecting a time step, etc., into my viewer.  The
>> viewer is able to offer up information like which fields are available
>> on which meshes, the plugin is a wrapper that uses this, DMLoadIntoDM
>> (but not this elegant), VecLoadIntoVector, etc., and stuffs it into
>> avt/vtk data structures.  Note that this plugin makes no direct calls to
>> HDF5 and uses only the public API of the Viewer, DM, and Vec.
>>

>   Ok so you are deriving a new Viewer that implements much higher level
> operations that are particular to PETSc (since it knows about Vecs and DMs).
> This is perhaps reasonable. But the vecload/view methods still belong in the
> Vec object :-)
>

>> Jed
>>

>> [1] In my view, a Vec is just an element of some finite dimensional linear
>> space.  If you want to use a special format, or stuff extra info in
>> there to make function evaluation easier or some operation faster,
>> that's fine, but it's still just an element of this linear space and it
>> better satisfy the appropriate axioms.  The linear space that this
>> vector lives in is defined by the DM and we need this to do anything
>> useful (like visualization) with the vector.
>>

>   To the algebraic solvers I agree a " Vec is just an element of some
> finite dimensional ....." (since that is all the solvers need to know about
> them).  But to a specific application a Vec can be thought of as the linear
> algebra beast PLUS all kinds of grid information etc (like the DM).  So I
> think of a (application) Vec in the application as basically derived off of
> two classes:  the linear algebra beast PLUS a DM (it is implemented as a
> isA(linear algebra beast) and hasA(DM beast)).  This is why I feel so
> strongly that the VecView class that also reads/writes stuff related
> specifically to the Vec belongs with the Vec, not with the Viewer.

I would like to point out here that the notion of a Vec as a member of a
vector space is very often in adequate. What we really want is a section of
a fiber bundle. This
is much more appropriate for most computational settings. That is why we
want grid information to tag along with the Vec.

  Matt

>  Regarding where code needs to be changed/where : The reason for the
> "native/super" support for the VecLoadIntoVector() (which I admit is
> terribly crude and ugly) is exactly so that one can implement a new
> loader/writer directly for a specific Vec/DM combination IN THE APPLICATION
> CODE or another library. One does not have to add it to src/vec/vec/impls
> Do you have suggestions on how one could improve the "native/super" thing
> to satisfy you?
>
> As I said before a Viewer in PETSc is just an abstraction/generalization of
> a file pointer with read/write methods on the file pointer. So it disturbs
> me that a method in a Viewer would even know what a Vec. It leads to these
> loops of knowledge that make code much more complicated. I would do anything
> to prevent these loops of knowledge I consider them so troublesome.
>
>   Barry
>

>> [2] Or the Vec doesn't use information about the DM when viewing on that
>> format if you like, I think this relationship is symmetric and
>> conceptually owned by neither.
>>
>> [3] I think the location of the source for DMView_MyViewer_YourDM is
>> mostly a packaging and distribution matter rather than a design matter.
>> I don't see a problem with it being distributed independently of either
>> MyViewer or YourDM (except for the technical issue of how it announces
>> it's existence).
>>
>> [4] It's all slightly complicated by the fact that for visualization,
>> it's important to be able to read chunks of the domain independently,
>> whereas the analysis code would prefer to only define proper collective
>> operations.

lead.