slepc4py under Windows

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 08:22:36 CDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 9:50 AM, Konstantin Klementiev
<kklementiev at cells.es> wrote:
> Dear Lisandro,
>
> I want to use your slepc4py and am trying to build PETSc with shared libraries
> under Windows. The installer complaints:
> Configuring with shared libraries - but the system/compilers do not support this
>
> I've asked petsc-maint for help and here is their reply:
> We shut off shared libraries for Windows, because we do not know how to make
> them work. We are happy to take contributed build code to do this, but for now I
> recommend Linux (or Mac).
>
>  Matt

You know, developing on Windows is sometimes a big headache :-)

> Question:
> How important is to have PETSc and SLEPc built with shared libraries?

petsc4py could work with static libs (indeed, it do work on POSIX
systems), but ...

> Would slepc4py work otherwise?

my first guess it that slepc4py will not work... because the Python
extension modules of petsc4py and slepc4py will have duplicated code
coming from the core PETSc static libs.

Or, differently, does slepc4py work under Windows?

The ONLY reason they currently do not work is because of the DLL
issue... The petsc4py and slepc4py distutils-based buildsystems will
perhaps need to special-case Windows, but that part would be pretty
easy...

I'm thinking about trying to use Scons for the 'make' step of the
build, that way we could probably automate the building of shared libs
on Windows... Unfortunately, I have not had time to start working on
this...

My Windows expertise is almost none, however mpi4py works out of the
box on Windows with DeinoMPI and MPICH2... That makes me confident
that I should be able to make petsc4py and slepc4py also work, but I
need to take first the problem of building core PETSc and SLEPc
first...

Any chance you can help me?

--
Lisandro Dalcín