PETSc acceleration on novel architectures

Stephen Ball Stephen.R.Ball at awe.co.uk
Tue Apr 7 09:07:17 CDT 2009

Hi

We are keen to start investigating whether or not PETSc is suitable for
acceleration on novel architectures like GPUs, Cell processors, etc.

I would very much like to get your opinions on this.

Do you think such an endeavour is at all feasible with PETSc? If so,
what areas of PETSc do you think our efforts would best be spent?

Should we for example focus on matrix operations, or on specific
preconditioners or solvers? Where would be a good place to start?

Can you suggest some specific routines/functions in PETSc that are
potential candidates for acceleration?

Regards

Stephen R. Ball
Advanced Technologies