PETSc on GPUs

Ahmed El Zein ahmed at azein.com
Wed Sep 17 20:05:13 CDT 2008

Harald,
I am working on implementing SpMV on a NVIDIA GPU with CUDA for SML
applications (just about finished actually).

As the SML application I am planing to base my work on uses PETSc, I
have written some functions that will convert AIJ matrices and Vectors
to SP and copy them to the GPU, multiply them and copy them back to the
host. I would be happy to share them with you if you want.

While this would be outside the scope of my MPhil I would be very
interested in helping to add GPU support for PETSC. I have not yet had
any experience with CTM for programming ATI GPUs but I believe there
would not be a huge difference.

I have access to a GeForce 8800GTX GPU (single precession only) at the
ANU. I have been talking with my supervisor about getting a GTX280 or
GTX 260 (supports double precision) but I don't know if we will be
getting one.

Anyway I would like to help. So if anyone would like to start thinking
how this would be best implemented, I am available. :)

Ahmed