error in handling download external packages

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Oct 22 10:55:38 CDT 2008

For one - I think each external package should have its own 'make
install' - this should copy its public include files to the prefix
location. [currently we do 'cp' for some packages - and this might
copy both internal and public include files to the install location].

The current model is to have the same 'prefix' provided to PETSc be
the prefix for all external packages. Placing package includes in a
separate location breaks this mode. [and then we have to figure out
which packages user will include via petsc include - like mpi.h etc,
and ones that are not directly included - perhaps like mumps.h]

So I don't see the benefit [except for reduced number of files in
prefix/include] by hiding the includes in a different location - and
complicating the install model.

The current model benifits users in the sense that - if they were to
have some usercode that uses externalpackages directly aswell - then
they can rely on PETSc install of these packages..

Satish