Independently configuring down & up smoothers in PCMG

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Oct 20 16:18:13 CDT 2008

   Sorry I haven't responded to this fully.

   I hate the idea of a hack that is just for this case and a special
flag you got to set or pass in.

   For the _1_, _2_ etc I did the following. If the string in the code
has
_%d_  (for example _1_) it first checks for an exact match in the list
of
set options. If it does not find an exact match it removes the _%d_
and tries
again for an exact match. This seems to work pretty well and could be
used in many places in the code, not just in the PCMG stuff.

   It would be nice to use some similar technique the case below.
Possibilities
1) use _CAPS_ first exactly and then removing the _CAPS_
2) make the part with special charactors _<string>_,  first look with
_string_
then try without _string_ (the <> are just my example charactors,
could use | or whatever.

   What do people think about this?

    Barry

Note that currently we always use small letters in the option names.
We could continue to
have the options database have small letters and use _tolower(CAPS)_
as the first test.
I'm inclinded to do 1).

With multiple _XXX_ _4_ in an option we'll have to be careful to
properly check all possibilities
in some consistent order.