I'm going to work on PETSc's dynamic libraries support

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 17:51:09 CDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 4:47 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>> 2) Add appropriate typedefs for PestcDLHandle, an enumeration
>> PetscDLFlags, and routines PetscDLOpen, PetscDLClose, and PetscDLSym.
>> This would abstract the handling of the different dlopen-like family
>> of functions across platforms, in a way similar to what GNU libtool
>> does.
>
>   I worry that dlopen()/dlsym() may not be the right level of abstraction to
> match (for example the Windows approach) a general idea of "dynamic"
> libraries.
> Especially dlsym().
>
>  I guess it is ok to add them, but I hate to add stuff, you know.

Just to make it clear, I'm not actually adding stuff. I'll just
provide and additional layer of calls that will remove the current
calls to dlopen()/LoadLibrary() in 'src/sys/dll/dl.c' and move them to
an additional file named 'src/sys/dll/dlimpl.c' implementing
PetscDLOpen/PetscDLClose/PetscDLSym as appropriate for
windows/unix-like as appropriate. In the future, this separation will
make it easier to support other dlopen-like API's.

BTW, help me a bit: remeber to wipe-out the petsc-dev-dalcinl repo and
put there a fresh clone of petsc-dev (perhaps a pull & update is
enough?)

--
Lisandro Dalcín