config/configure.py -> configure?

Boyana Norris norris at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jul 17 15:58:56 CDT 2008

Speaking of configure and user experiences, I just noticed that PETSc
defines top_builddir (in petscconf), which conflicts with
automake-generated makefiles, making it impossible in some cases to
include PETSc's petsconf file into Makefile.am (as far as I know that's
the only thing that causes problems). I hate automake in general, but
sometimes you are stuck with it and it's very nice to be able to include
PETSc make snippets even in automake files and avoid a lot of pain.

Anyway, since this is in a file that gets copied to the install
location, I think in general it would be best to avoid defining build
tree-related variables (especially those that conflict with
auto-generated ones from other tools). Thoughts?

Boyana

Boyana Norris, Computer Scientist    |   Email: norris at mcs.anl.gov
Argonne National Laboratory          |   Phone: +1 (630) 252 7908
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~norris/      |   Fax:   +1 (630) 252 5986