finished changes for solving strict aliasing issue

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 13:03:39 CDT 2007

Not sure if any of you had the time to look at the small example I sended
to show the strict aliasing issue.

Anyway, I finished the changes needed to solve this issue, all C and
Fortran examples pass. If -Wno-strict-aliasing is removed, GCC will
still complain in many parts, but now we are sure that it will not
generate bad code when using PetscObject and derived structures. BTW,
I commented out all thos XXX_Publish() routines. Is this feature used
in any way? perhaps some external code? If this still have to be
supported, perhaps I can change PetscHeaderCreate() to pass the
publish routine.

Could you create a petsc-dev clone in the hg server in order I can
push this for your to review?

Regards,

PD: Many thanks to Stephan for his 'sed' tip. It was of great help for
this to be finished.

--
Lisandro Dalcín