error checking macros with optimization

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Nov 23 09:59:28 CST 2007

    Lisandro,

      There are actually two separate concerns: optimized builds and
error checking.
--with-errorchecking and --with-debugging I would like to keep them
separate.

Currently --with-errorchecking has an on or off value and --with-
debugging has an on or off value

If you are proposing an intermediate --with-errorchecking that simply
returns the
error codes that is fine with me.

--with-errorchecking=<on,intermediate,off>

I still want by default --with-debugging=0 to leave on the full error
checking. Reason:
most programmers are morons and develop code with optimization on
(why? because
they are dumb as stones and no matter how many times you tell them it
is a bad idea
they just ignore it, they prefer to spend hundreds of hours tracking
down bugs without
debug symbols then waste 1/1000 of a second on slower code while
developing.)

     Barry