PETSc sparsity

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 21:13:20 CDT 2007

Also, I have talked to Wolfgang many times about this. I am a firm
believer in eliminating the boundary values during assembly at the
element level. PETSc provides an easy mechanism for this. By default,
all negative indices in calls to VecSetValues and MatSetValues are
ignored.

  Matt

On 6/15/07, Mark Adams <adams at pppl.gov> wrote:
> Just a note, my way is much simpler - its two lines of code in a loop
> over the boundary nodes, followed by an MatAsseblyBegin/End, and you
> don't have to deal with parallel issues explicitly - PETSc does.  For
> my FE codes the cost of this (dumb) way is negligible, PETSc
> implements these methods pretty well.
>
> Mark
>
> On Jun 15, 2007, at 4:28 PM, Toby Young wrote:
>

> > Barry,
> >
> > Thank you for an interesting response.
> >
> >>   For algorithms that require dealing with the sparsity structure of
> >> the matrix we generally just include the appropriate private
> >> include file
> >> for the matrix format and access the data directly in the
> >> underlying format.
> >
> > Can you please elaborate. What do you mean by "the appropriate privat
> > include file for the matrix"? Sorry, I got lost there.
> >
> > Best,
> >       Toby
> >
> > -----
> >
> > Toby D. Young (Adiunkt)
> > Department of Computational Science
> > Institute of Fundamental Technological Research
> > Polish Academy of Science
> > Room 206, ul. Swietokrzyska 21
> > 00-049 Warszawa, POLAND

> Mark Adams Ph.D.                                   Columbia University
> 289 Engineering Terrace                                        MC 4701
> New York NY 10027
> adams at pppl.gov                                www.columbia.edu/~ma2325
> voice: 212.854.4485                                  fax: 212.854.8257

their experiments lead.