new build system

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jun 13 18:10:35 CDT 2007

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007, Barry Smith wrote:

> > 3 - Continuing the discussion
> > ==================
> >
> > FIRST, I invite all you to firt discuss all this and define a good and
> > standard structure for an 'installed' petsc. Perhaps we should invite
> > packagers (like Stephan) to joing this discussion.
>
>   It bothers me greatly to sometimes have PETSc installed in /usr/lib/petsc..
> and other times in /opt/petsc/.... Having two models is confusing.
>
> Why don't we always dump into /opt/petsc? Everything is easy! Why make
> life complicated by also supporting the /usr/lib approach? Do
> some systems/people not use the /opt?

'/opt' is this crazy thing in FHS. Different folks interpret its usage
differently. For ex: intel compilers - that are not part of a sandard
linux distribution can use opt. However if PETSc were distributed as
part of a linux distribution, then it would go into /usr.

I think this is a bit arbitary - and partly its a a choice made by the
packager.

My opinion is not to bother with /opt...

Satish