more comments about new build system

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jun 13 09:23:37 CDT 2007

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007, Barry Smith wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2007, Lisandro Dalcin wrote:
>
> > On 6/12/07, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> > >    I understand. But we cannot have
> > > $PETSC_DIR/conf and $PETSC_DIR/$PETSC_ARCH/lib/petsc
> > > both directories have similar contents but very different
> > > types of names.
> >
> > Sorry, my brain is not working well today. I forgot something.
> > Currently, in the 'build' directory, we have to use use the following:
> >
> > PETSC_DIR/conf  --> move to --> $PETSC_DIR/lib/petsc
> >
> > Would this work? I am (again) missing something?
>
>   The problem I see with this is that how they are included in
> users makefiles changes. In one case you
> have
> include PETSC_DIR/conf/base
> in the other case (installed case)
> include PETSC_DIR/$PETSC_ARCH/lib/petsc/base
> one of the goals of this change is to continue to
> user identical user makefiles in either case.

Assuming we do:

PETSC_DIR/petscconf --> move to --> PREFIX_DIR/lib/petscconf

[and all references to PETSC_DIR is replaced by the correct paths in
the installed makefiles], the following inlcude statement from
usermakefile should continue towork - provided PETSC_DIR is changed to
'prefix/lib' instead of 'prefix'. [its a bit ugly though]

include PETSC_DIR/petscconf/base

Satish