more comments about new build system

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jun 12 19:44:08 CDT 2007

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007, Lisandro Dalcin wrote:

> On 6/12/07, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> >    I understand. But we cannot have
> > $PETSC_DIR/conf and $PETSC_DIR/$PETSC_ARCH/lib/petsc
> > both directories have similar contents but very different
> > types of names.
>
> Sorry, my brain is not working well today. I forgot something.
> Currently, in the 'build' directory, we have to use use the following:
>
> PETSC_DIR/conf  --> move to --> $PETSC_DIR/lib/petsc
>
> Would this work? I am (again) missing something?

  The problem I see with this is that how they are included in
users makefiles changes. In one case you
have
include PETSC_DIR/conf/base
in the other case (installed case)
include PETSC_DIR/$PETSC_ARCH/lib/petsc/base
one of the goals of this change is to continue to
user identical user makefiles in either case.