Why the hell did 'python' move?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 10 10:16:13 CST 2007

    I sent email about a week ago and no one complained.

    As someone downloads petsc-dev they see directories config and
python;
this make NO SENSE at all, how are they going to know that most of the
configure
stuff is in the python directory? If I did not know PETSc and
downloaded it
I would be so pissed at the utterly stupid naming that I would simply
delete the
whole package and not even consider using it. Directory names are not
for the developer (a developer can remember anything so long as the
work on the package long enough), directory names are for the causal
user and it is important that they make sense.

    Why does your finite element stuff care where the configuration
code is stored???? At most you should have to change a couple little
things.

    Barry