warn message in log summary

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 09:37:24 CST 2007

On Dec 7, 2007 9:18 AM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> > I'm on Matt's side. Have you ever considered C++ for implementing
> > PETSc internals?
>
>    Python?

Portability here is a tricky concept. Python is portable in the sense that
it rnus jsut about everywhere. However, there is another sense in which
it is much like interoperability. Python has a complete C backend, so in
theory you can easily interface with C code. However, Python objects
do not play well with C++ objects (which has given us a lot of grief in
the PyLith project). If everyone agrees that all OO is done by Python,
and any interface to C/C++ must go through the Python C bindings for
objects, than this might work. We should have done this in PyLith.

  Matt

> On Dec 7, 2007, at 7:28 AM, Lisandro Dalcin wrote:

> >> I guess I have the opposite opinion. I think it is inevitable that
> >> PETSc
> >> is rewritten at some point in the future. At that point, we would
> >> replace
> >> the current, imperfect exception system with a better one. This way
> >> we
> >> can preserve a good design. If we go the other way, all that code
> >> will
> >> have to be rethought instead of just rewritten.
> >>

> > I'm on Matt's side. Have you ever considered C++ for implementing
> > PETSc internals?
> >
> > --
> > Lisandro Dalcín
> > Centro Internacional de Métodos Computacionales en Ingeniería (CIMEC)
> > Instituto de Desarrollo Tecnológico para la Industria Química (INTEC)
> > Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas (CONICET)
> > PTLC - Güemes 3450, (3000) Santa Fe, Argentina
> > Tel/Fax: +54-(0)342-451.1594

their experiments lead.