[Parvis-users] ParNcl and GRIB2 file

Krishna, Jayesh jayesh at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Aug 4 11:36:15 CDT 2014

>>1- I want to know if the ParNcl tool can read grib2 files like NCL

 We currently only support reading netcdf files (generated by CESM). We also support reading shape files in serial. See the section "Supported Data Format" in the release notes for more information on the data formats supported by ParNCL ( see - http://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/parvis/wiki/ParNCLReleaseNotes1_0_0  - This is the release notes for the upcoming release. Release notes for the 1.0.0b2 release is available at http://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/parvis/wiki/ParNCLReleaseNotes1_0_0_b2 ).

>> 2- Is the graphics production time (For big maps with a resolution of 16384 x 16384 pixels) is improved with ParNCL

 We have not parallelized the graphics routines at this time. The supported data processing functions in ParNCL are executed in parallel but the graphics routines are executed serially (on the gathered data). To see the list of supported functions in ParNCL see - http://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/parvis/wiki/ParNCLReleaseNotes1_0_0 (This is the release notes for the upcoming release).

>> 3- Is ParNcl binaries versions can be run in Centos6.5

 We currently don't provide pre-built binaries for Centos (The binaries built for Ubuntu cannot be used in Centos, as you have already noticed, due to system library dependencies). For now, you need to build ParNCL from scratch on your machine. We are working with open source developers to make it easier to build and install (binaries, rpms, build documentation etc) ParNCL on various systems.
 The build documentation is available at http://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/parvis/wiki/BuildingParNCL .

Regards,
Jayesh