Using parallel write with subset of processors

Pascale Garaud pgaraud at soe.ucsc.edu
Mon May 9 14:51:10 CDT 2022

Hello

I am trying to understand what would be the best way to
use the library to write data that is contained in only a subset of the
processors in my communicator. (Specifically, my problem is that I have a
3D dataset, and would like to save only a slice of that dataset to file,
and the slice is contained in only a subset of the processors).

Is there a best way to do that efficiently? The code currently uses a
collective  PUT_VAR_ALL to write the 3D dataset to file, but that would not
work for the slice (and hangs when I try).

I could just copy the whole data for the slice into a single processor, and
then do an "independent" write for that processor, but that doesn't seem to
be very efficient.

I tried to understand how to use IPUT instead, but I am very confused about
the syntax / procedure, especially given that all of the examples I have
seen end up using all processors for the write.

I am very much a beginner in this process so any help would be greatly
appreciated, thank you!

Pascale Garaud.

Pascale Garaud
Professor in Applied Mathematics