Path oddity in PNetCDF build/configure

Carl Ponder cponder at nvidia.com
Sun Oct 24 07:30:03 CDT 2021

When I build PNetCDF with MPICC=mpicc and mpicc on my$PATH, I see this
during the configure phase:

    ENV PATH=${PATH}:/usr/local/bin
    ENV MPICC mpicc
    checking for sed handling option -i ... /usr/bin/sed -i''
    *checking mpicc under yes... no*
    configure: error:
          Specified MPI C compiler "mpicc" cannot be found under yes
          PnetCDF requires a working MPI C compiler. Please specify the
    location
          of an MPI C compiler, either in the MPICC environment variable
          (not CC variable) or through --with-mpi configure flag. Abort.

I can work around it by making the path absolute

    ENV MPICC /usr/local/bin/mpicc
    checking for sed handling option -i ... /usr/bin/sed -i''
    *checking whether /usr/local/bin/mpicc exists and is executable... yes*

But, based on the first message, I'm thinking there's an incorrect
path-search during the configure phase.
This is with PNetCDF 1.12.2.