PnetCDF 1.12.2: tst_rec_vars.c failed

Abhiram Nirmal CS an.abhiram at outlook.com
Sun Aug 22 01:53:43 CDT 2021

Hi all,

I've been trying to install PnetCDF 1.12.2 for use with HWRF. I've already installed NetCDF4 and HDF5 with parallel support and been trying to compile PnetCDF 1.12.2. Configuration completes successfully, my configuration is as follows:

./configure --prefix="${DIR}/pnetcdf" --enable-large-single-req --enable-large-file-test --enable-netcdf4 MPICC=mpicc MPIF77=mpif77 MPIF90=mpif90 --enable-shared=no --with-netcdf4="${NETCDF}"

Everything up to and including `make check` works fine, except for `make ptest`. The `tst_rec_vars.c` test fails. The error message is as follows:

*** TESTING C   tst_rec_vars for record variables to NetCDF4 file  ------ Error at line 78 of tst_rec_vars.c: expect dim X len 4 but got 3
Error at line 78 of tst_rec_vars.c: expect dim X len 4 but got 3 fail with 2 mismatches

I think the failed test is checking the NetCDF file `tst_rec_vars.nc`, and I have checked NetCDF file manually using `ncdump`, and it indeed has a time dimension of length 4. I'm not sure what is causing the error. I tried running the test manually and it does pass. In fact, I manually ran every test inside test/nc4 and all of the succeeded.
What could be the reason and what can I do to fix it?

On another note, I tried an older release, as a matter of fact, several older releases (1.12.2, 1.12.1, 1.10.0 and 1.9.0) but all of them fails during configuration because they couldn't find `netcdf_par.h` file. But the file does exist and the `locate` command successfully finds it.

With regards,
       Abhiram.