pnetcdf in docker container

Latham, Robert J. robl at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Dec 19 09:09:13 CST 2017

On Mon, 2017-12-18 at 15:36 -0800, Jun Xiong wrote:
> Hi Guys:
>
> I wonder who even plan to use pnetcdf in docker container?
>
> Usually I use pnetcdf under HPC, but our colleague, recently
> deploy Charliecloud (https://hpc.github.io/charliecloud/index.html)
> on pleiades and we want to compile pnetcdf application as an example.
>
> I will try to follow the current installation recipe to see my
> luckiness. Appreciated if anyone did similar work and would like to
> share the experience.

I don't have any experience with cloud deployments.  The sales pitch is
that this should just work for you.  The cloud instance might be
missing some libraries pnetcdf needs to build, but our build
requirements are pretty light.  If you can compile a "hello world" mpi
program, you should be able to compile and run pnetcdf.

If you are looking for simple pnetcdf codes to try out, look at our
quick tutorial:

https://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/parallel-netcdf/wiki/QuickTutorial

"Real Parallel I/O on shared files" would be a good starting point.

I'm sure there will be more container users over time, so report back
with your experiences.