PnetCDF buffers

Rob Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Nov 11 10:19:11 CST 2015

On 11/11/2015 10:03 AM, Max R. Dechantsreiter wrote:
> Dear PnetCDF:
>
> Based on experiments it appears PnetCDF establishes for
> each MPI process a file presumably used as a buffer -
> is that correct?

The file isn't what I'd call a buffer. It's the dataset holding whatever
you wish to stuff inside it.

It's possible with some work to create one file per node, but it is more
common to create a single file shared across all MPI processes via some
kind of parallel file system.

You can provide a buffer to Parallel-NetCDF that it can use for
aggregating operations, or you can use the non-blocking interface to
queue up operations, in a sense buffering the operations in client-side
memory.

==rob

> Best regards,
>
> Maxwhatev