input/output errors from "make check"

Wei-keng Liao wkliao at eecs.northwestern.edu
Fri May 29 12:59:35 CDT 2015

Rob is right. In my previous email, I was not trying to say PnetCDF performs poorly.
Rather, I tried to explain why the testing took a long time. Those testings check all sorts of scenarios by reading/writing small amount of data, with file opens/closes, and sometimes with file sync.
As they are designed to check errors, not for performance, they might result in large overheads.
Thus, one should not take the timing of testings seriously.

If you are interested in PnetCDF I/O performance, there are several benchmark programs under directory benchmarks. They report execution time as well as read/write bandwidths.
More can be found from this URL
http://cucis.ece.northwestern.edu/projects/PnetCDF/#Benchmarks

Wei-keng