CFIO: i/o forwarding with pnetcdf

Rob Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Sep 18 10:39:20 CDT 2013

A group in China has developed a climate-oriented I/O library called
CFIO.  It has the two interesting design properties that it sits on
top of pnetcdf and it forwards I/O to "server" processes.

https://github.com/CFIO/CFIO/wiki/CFIO-Design

all processes start out in MPI_COMM_WORLD, but some user-specified
ratio determines which clients end up in a server group and which ones
end up in a client group.

Clients send to servers with simple point to point operations.

Pthreads are used to get the clients sending data to servers in the
background.

Argonne National Lab, IL USA