possible bug in pnetcdf: cdf5 issue

Jim Edwards jedwards at ucar.edu
Sun Feb 17 12:43:17 CST 2013

In my larger program I am getting an error:

PMPI_Type_create_struct(139): Invalid value for blocklen, must be
non-negative but is -1715470336

I see a note about this in nonblocking.c:

    for (j=0; j<reqs[i].varp->ndims; j++)
                blocklens[i] *= reqs[i].count[j];
            /* Warning! blocklens[i] might overflow */

But I tried to distile this into a small testcase and I'm getting a
different error, I've attached the test program anyway because I can't spot
any error there and think it must be in pnetcdf.    Also it seems like
instead of
calling mpi_type_create_struct you should be calling mpi_type_subarray
which will avoid the problem of blocklens overflowing.

This test program is written for 8 mpi tasks, but it uses a lot of memory
so you may need more than one node to run it.

--
Jim Edwards

CESM Software Engineering Group
Boulder, CO