compound type and PNetCDF

Rob Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Dec 28 14:12:48 CST 2013

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 09:16:14AM -0500, Bertrand B. wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I would like to read a NetCDF 4 file which contains a compound variable.
>
> I have been able to read it with NetCDF but I would like to use PNetCDF for
> a parallel job.
>
> Is PNetCDF compatible with a compound variable ? If yes, could you please
> point me to an example showing how to write/read a compound variable with
> PNetCDF ?
>
> Thank you for your help,

Hi Bertrand.  This new-ish file format (actually HDF5) isn't
compatible with parallel-netcdf.  There are parallel I/O facilities in
NetCDF-4, though.

Here are the software prerequisites:
- You will need and HDF5 library compiled with parallel-io support
- a NetCDF-4 configured to use that HDF5 library

Then to use the parallel features of netcdf-4, use the call
nc_open_par() :

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf-c/nc_005fopen_005fpar.html

Argonne National Lab, IL USA