test release: parallel-netcdf 1.3.0pre1

Rob Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Mar 30 14:55:52 CDT 2012

Hello to our pnetcdf community.

Did you realize our last release was in August.  Of 2010?  In some
ways that's great: Parallel-NetCDF churns along, hopefully delivering
good performance, and we've had no show-stopping bugs come up forcing
us to make a new release.

However, development does continue, and we're feeling pretty good
about the new features in SVN trunk lately, so let's have a
pre-release so we can get these new features out into applications'
hands.

Of particular note:
- A new "buffered put" api, an extension to the non-blocking
  interface.  See the release notes for more information.
- Various bug fixes and optimizations
- You used to need a custom pnetcdf.h header file from Unidata if you
  wanted to build NetCDF-4 with parallel-netcdf support.  Now you no
  longer need their header file.

For more information, including download or SVN links, please see the
release notes:

https://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/parallel-netcdf/wiki/ReleaseNotes-1.3.0

==rob (on behalf of the entire pnetcdf team at ANL and NWU)

Argonne National Lab, IL USA