Hints on improving performance with WRF and Pnetcdf

Rob Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Sep 8 08:53:48 CDT 2010

On Sun, Sep 05, 2010 at 09:01:03AM -0500, Gerry Creager wrote:
> Rob Latham wrote:
> >I know ranger's running openmpi, but can you give mpich2 a shot?  i
> >only ask because recent mpich2 releases have an optimized lustre
> >driver for collective i/o.
>
> I'll see what we have. I've tried to use other mpich variants before...

OK.  I think the only version of MPICH2 with the debugged and
optimized Lustre driver is MPICH2-1.3.1 (currently "beta" released,
with a release candidate due "any day now").    So, if you don't mind
building from source, try MPICH2-1.3b1.

Other mpich and mpich2 variants (Mvapich v1, mvapich v2) either don't
have the optimized driver, or the version they do have is buggy.

Wei-keng's library, though, *is* optimized and debugged, and as long
as you get the link order right, should give you good lustre
performance.  I'm going to go pick up that discussion on another
thread.

Argonne National Lab, IL USA