Hints on improving performance with WRF and Pnetcdf

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sat Sep 4 21:25:12 CDT 2010

Rob Latham wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 02, 2010 at 06:23:42PM -0600, Craig Tierney wrote:
>> I did try setting the hints myself by changing the code, and performance
>> still stinks (or is no faster).  I was just looking for a way to not
>> have to modify WRF, or more importantly have every user modify WRF.
>
> What's going slowly?
>
> If wrf is slowly writing record variables, you might want to try
> disabling collective I/O or carefully selecting the intermediate
> buffer to be as big as one record.
>
> That's the first place I'd look for bad performance.

Ah, but I'm seeing the same thing on Ranger (UTexas). I'm likely going
to have to modify the WRF pnetcdf code to identify a sufficiently large
stripe count (Lustre file system) to see any sort of real improvement.

More to the point, I see worse performance than with normal Lustre and
regular netcdf. AND, there's no way to set MPI-IO-HINTS in the SGE as
configured on Ranger. We've tried and their systems folk concur, so it's
not just me saying it.

I will look at setting the hints file up but I don't think that's going
to give me the equivalent of 64 stripe counts, which looks like the
sweet spot for the domain I'm testing on.

Craig, one I have time to get back on to this, I think we can convince
NCAR to add this as a bug release. I also anticipate the tweak will be
on the order of 4-5 lines.

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.862.3983