MPI_TYPE_MAX limit using MPT

Rob Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Oct 6 12:24:10 CDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 12:29:50PM -0400, Maxwell Kelley wrote:
> Is this normal?  Setting MPI_TYPE_MAX to 65536 simply allowed more
> I/O to be performed before the error appears. The limit is reached
> more quickly using more processors.  Assuming that this is a case of
> types not being freed after use, should I just set this limit high
> enough that it will never be exceeded during a 12-hour batch job?

I wish we knew more about where the extra data types came from.

I imagine there is some cost to setting MPI_TYPE_MAX to 2 billion.
Hopefully, you can find a value that lets you complete your work while
I try to find the places where pnetcdf forgets to free datatypes.

Are you still using the nonblocking interface?

Argonne National Lab, IL USA