MPI_TYPE_MAX limit using MPT

Maxwell Kelley kelley at giss.nasa.gov
Wed Oct 6 11:29:50 CDT 2010

Hello,

When running some I/O tests using MPT 1.25, I get the error

MPI has run out of internal datatype entries.
Please set the environment variable MPI_TYPE_MAX for additional space.
The current value of MPI_TYPE_MAX is 8192

Is this normal?  Setting MPI_TYPE_MAX to 65536 simply allowed more I/O to
be performed before the error appears. The limit is reached more quickly
using more processors.  Assuming that this is a case of types not being
freed after use, should I just set this limit high enough that it will
never be exceeded during a 12-hour batch job?

-Max