nfmpi_iput_vara_double + nfmpi_wait_all

Maxwell Kelley kelley at giss.nasa.gov
Tue Aug 24 13:05:42 CDT 2010

Hello,

(As this is my first post: many thanks to the developers!)

I've been trying the nonblocking I/O interface described at

http://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/parallel-netcdf/wiki/CombiningOperations

to combine writes of domain-decomposed arrays via calls to
nfmpi_iput_vara_double() followed by an nfmpi_wait_all().

When a combination of write requests corresponds to a contiguous set of
arrays in the output file (sequential netcdf IDs), the results are always
correct.  However, combining write requests for a noncontiguous set of
arrays sometimes produces incorrect results.  Is this latter access
pattern permitted, and has it been extensively tested?  I may be doing
something wrong which happens to be non-fatal only for contiguous
collections of arrays.

I realize that batched-up writes for noncontiguous subsets of a file may
not make sense from a performance standpoint.

Thanks for any help,

-Max

Maxwell Kelley
Center for Climate Systems Research, Columbia Univ. Earth Institute
@
NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies
2880 Broadway                                  kelley at giss.nasa.gov
New York NY 10025                                 1-212-678-5669