async io

Rob Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Tue May 5 17:27:25 CDT 2009

On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 09:25:14AM -0600, Jim Edwards wrote:
> What is the current status of adding async io operations to pnetcdf?

Hi Jim

pnetcdf already has non-blocking operations, but it's true they don't
do async I/O -- that's probably why you're asking specifically about
async I/O.

Kui's work is our one effort in this direction (thanks, Kui!), but the
I/O and any optimizations happen only at explicit points.

Just wanted to make it clear that there is a nonblocking I/O
interface, but no background async I/O -- Kui still found benefits
since accumulating the I/O means pnetcdf can turn multiple small I/O
operations into a larger I/O request.

Argonne National Lab, IL USA