assertion error

Robert Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Mar 13 17:38:09 CDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 03:56:59PM -0600, Jim Edwards wrote:
> I tried building the pnetcdf repository revision 649 on AIX and I'm crashing
> with an assertion error
>
> __assert_c99 : 0x000002c0
> ncmpii_NC_computeshapes : 123 # in file <header.c>
> ncmpii_hdr_get_NC : 1268 # in file <header.c>
> ncmpi_open : 155 # in file <mpinetcdf.c>
> nfmpi_open : 36 # in file <openf.c>
>
> any idea why?

Well, I don't know why right now, but I can tell you a bit about what
that code is doing.

This is in the open code path (not create)(and you knew that from the
assertion backtrace anyway...): we're dealing with pre-existing NetCDF
datasets.  pnetcdf at this point has ripped through the non-record
variables, figuring out where they reside.

This assertion means it thinks it found a record variable that
overlaps with a non-record variable.

I presume you do not see this with 1.0.3?  you could svn switch to
https://svn.mcs.anl.gov/repos/parallel-netcdf/tags/v1-0-3  if you like
working from an svn working copy.

If you see this in r649 and not with 1.0.3, then it might be related
somehow to the CDF-5 work.  Can you follow up with a 'ncmpidump -h' of
your dataset?

Thanks!