fortran, parallel-netcdf and openMPI

Mark Taylor mataylo at sandia.gov
Tue Apr 17 13:48:53 CDT 2007

Parallel-netcdf team:

I'm trying to get the fortran parallel-netcdf interface working on an
openMPI system.  Are there any known problems with this combination?

Here's what I get:

./nf_test -c
[alogin1.sandia.gov:11769] *** An error occurred in MPI_Comm_rank
[alogin1.sandia.gov:11769] *** on communicator MPI_COMM_WORLD
[alogin1.sandia.gov:11769] *** MPI_ERR_COMM: invalid communicator
[alogin1.sandia.gov:11769] *** MPI_ERRORS_ARE_FATAL (goodbye)

I did a little debugging, and came to the possible conclusion that
parallel-netcdf is assuming the Fortran communicator handle is
compatible with the C communicator handle?  (see for example openf.c).

But openMPI, the fortran handle has to be converted with the
MPI_Comm_f2c() routine.  See for example:

http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/users/2006/09/1812.php

Do you think this could be the cause of my problem?  And if so, any
simple workarounds?

Thanks,
Mark

--