Inconsistent results on bluegene (reproduce the same problem on ANL's BG/L)

Yu-Heng Tseng YHTseng at lbl.gov
Thu May 18 09:40:08 CDT 2006

Hi,

I observed the same inconsistent results on ANL's BG/L system. So it
seems a common problem on BG/L system not limited to NCAR's BG/L or
ANL's BG/L. Let me repeat the symptom here again.

In the test directory under test/fandc/ there is a Fortran test file
called "pnf_test.F"
This file generates an array has size 256x256x256 and output it to a
file called "pnf_test.nc" and read it back.

The program compares the original array with the readin new array. The
output have
diff, delmax, delmin

They should be all zero which means no difference is observed between
the new array and old array. Unfortunitely, I got some non-zero values
when I use 2, 8, 16 processors which means the new readin array and
original array are not identical. When I use 1, 4, 32, 64, 128
processors, the results are as expected.

The test case is run under home directory. The inconsistent problem
exists for both ANL's and NCAR's BG/L system. So I suspect this may
not be a single issue. Thank you so much if someone can solve this
problem.

Cheers
Yu-heng
Yu-Heng Tseng