Performance study

Christian Chilan chilan at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Jan 23 12:09:44 CST 2006

Hi,

We are trying to reproduce the results of your comparison between HDF5 and
parallel netCDF on an IBM ps690 (AIX 5.3, GPFS). We downloaded and
installed parallel netCDF from http://www.mcs.anl.gov/parallel-netcdf/, and
flash benchmark from
http://flash.uchicago.edu/~jbgallag/io_bench/flash_io_bench.tar.gz.

After making some modifications to the makefile and to the flash source
code (such as changing netcdf.h for pnetcdf.h and nc_ prefixes for ncmpi_)
, we have the benchmark running. For now, we are executing flash using 1
through 4 processors.

We noted that there are some problems. For example, after dumping the
checkpoint files, we noticed that the file generated with HDF5 contains
non-zero values and its size (7MB through 36 MB approx.) depends on the
number of processors, but the file generated with parallel netCDF contains
mostly zero values and its very small size (1844 bytes) is the same for
different numbers of processors. In addition, the speedup resulting from
going from 1 to 2 processors is about 10 for both HDF5 and netCDF.

We'd appreciate that you let us know what tuning and modifications were
done in your comparison study.

Thanks,

Christian Chilan