More on slow file output

Katie Antypas kantypas at flash.uchicago.edu
Tue Dec 5 12:42:32 CST 2006

I'm am doing some io benchmarking with the FLASH code on the NERSC
machine Bassi, (IBM Power 5) and I was also seeing some horrible
performance results.  I wanted to investigate this more before writing
the list, but it looks to me that that the slow down is caused when the
FLASH IO tries to 'reenter' define mode with the ncmpi_redef call.

(Anshu, FLASH defines all the pnetcdf dimensions and variables ahead of
time, then leaves define mode and writes the data.  However, we added a
some functionality early in the summer to write out the maximum and
minimum values of each unk variable and these are written out as
attributes of the given variable.  We reenter define mode in the routine
io_ncmpi_write_unknowns and io_ncmpi_write_unknowns_sp for plotfiles in
order to write out the attributes.)

Should the FLASH io should be doing something differently?  Should we
expect a performance hit from ncmpi_redef?  When I remove the calls to
reentering define mode and do not write out the attributes the
performance looks pretty good and in fact (on initial tests) appears to
be faster than the equivalent hdf5 tests.  I still have a few jobs
waiting in the queue here but as I get the results I will let you know.

Katie