I mean independent open

William Gropp gropp at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 6 09:22:38 CST 2004

At 11:35 PM 2/5/2004, Roger Ting wrote:
>Sorry mistake. I mean independent open.

The collective open and collective read/write provide the basis for much of
the performance advantage that pnetcdf has over non-collective
approaches.  For individual processes accessing files, there is
MPI_COMM_SELF, as Rob mentions.  If you want an arbitrary collection of
processes to access the file, without any a priori coordination (which
collective open gives you), you open Pandora's box of difficult
synchronization and consistency issues.  In such cases, it might make more
sense to use a two stage process, where each process writes a separate file
(thus eliminating any consistency issues) together with metadata about what
it wrote, followed by a step that uses collective I/O calls to assemble a
single netCDF file with maximum efficiency.

Bill