status

John Tannahill tannahill1 at llnl.gov
Fri Aug 8 14:53:53 CDT 2003

Some of my e-mails to ANL have not been cced to
parallel-netcdf at mcs.anl.gov, so I thought that I would send
a short one just to update my status.  As of Monday of this
week, all of my installation/test code problems had been
taken care of.  I am running on NERSC's IBM SP, seaborg, and
currently using 0.8.9.  By test code, I mean the C & Fortran
parallel netCDF routines that I had been working on, not the
test code in the parallel-netcdf tar file itself.  Many thanks
to everyone who has helped to get me this far, especially to
Jianwei for getting me over the last couple of hurdles.  I
am happy to hear that further progress is being made on making
the Fortran interface fully functional.

I am continuing to develop additional test codes and look at
timings.  I am on vacation next week, but will continue this
work when I return.

Additional things that would be helpful to me / Questions:
   * At the end of the install, automatically run some test code(s)
     to validate the installation.
   * The primary machines that we currently run on are:
        - IBM SP
        - Compaq TC2000
        - Intel clusters
     The IBM SP seems to have been taken care of; not sure about the
     other two?  How quickly will the library be updated as major new
     machines appear?
   * Any idea when the first official non-beta release will be?
   * I would eventually like to replace our current serial netCDF
     functionality in our model with your parallel one.  I really
     would like to get rid of the serial stuff altogether, but don't
     know if it's too early in the game to be considering this?
   * Your plans are definitely to fully support the parallel-netcdf
     capability?
   * How much coordination is going on with Russ Rew and his efforts?
     Hopefully, I won't have to do a complete re-implementation when
     they complete their project?  Any hope of getting your library
     somehow integrated with UCAR's serial one?

Thanks,
John

--
John R. Tannahill