[mpich2-dev] understanding hydra

John Marshall John.Marshall at ec.gc.ca
Sat Nov 3 07:27:12 CDT 2012

Hi,

I am trying to use hydra with a non-standard launcher (but setting
HYDRA_LAUNCHER=rsh) and am getting the following message:

    Launch arguments: /users/jdm/bin/rurun 0 "/users/jdm/ssm/hydra_1.5_ubuntu-10.04-amd64-64/bin/hydra_pmi_proxy" --control-port
    mel-fe01:44887 --debug --rmk user --launcher rsh --launcher-exec /users/jdm/bin/rurun --demux poll --pgid 0 --retries 10
    --usize -2 --proxy-id 0
    *argv ((null))
    [proxy:unset at mel-fe01] HYD_pmcd_pmip_get_params (./pm/pmiserv/pmip_utils.c:704): server name not available
    [proxy:unset at mel-fe01] main (./pm/pmiserv/pmip.c:173): bad parameters passed to the proxy

I called:

    mpirun -verbose -hosts 0 -disable-hostname-propagation whoami

where 0 is an index into a lookup table that rurun knows about
and that I don't want mpirun to deal with. I expected that
-disable-hostname-propagation would defer getting hostname
information until the process was launched on the target
node and so using "0" would pose no problem.

I looked through the code to try to figure out what is happening
but it is currently non-obvious. Can anyone give me a pointer
on where I might look so as to debug my problem?

Thanks,
John