[mpich2-dev] CFLAGS=-fPIC not passed down to MPE ?

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 14:13:27 CDT 2012

On 6 August 2012 15:58, Anthony Chan <chan at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>> If you want a very short-term workaround, you can probably add "-fPIC"
>> to "$MPICPPFLAGS" in your environment.
>
> Passing -fPIC through MPICPPFLAGS to MPE configure is OK as a temporary
> workaround.  I believe a correct fix is to pass -fPIC down as CFLAGS.

BTW, in the end the -fPIC bussines I'm caring about is related to
ticket $573 (http://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/mpich2/ticket/573). I
quote myself:

"For all this, I'm asking you for consideration to use -fPIC (if the
compiler support it, of course) when MPICH2's configure is asked for
--enable-sharedlibs."

For example, the Fedora RPM spec files do pass CFLAGS=-fPIC to
configure to get PIC code in libmpe.a, otherwise you cannot link-in
MPE in a shared library on x86_64.

Any thoughts about this? I understand the implications for the build
system, but do you at least agree that --enable-shared at the top
level should (by default) generate PIC code for all sources?

PS: I This is somewhat off-topic, feel free to ignore me.

--
Lisandro Dalcin