[mpich2-dev] CFLAGS=-fPIC not passed down to MPE ?

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Aug 6 12:51:55 CDT 2012

On Aug 6, 2012, at 11:56 AM CDT, Lisandro Dalcin wrote:

> On 6 August 2012 13:32, Dave Goodell <goodell at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>>
>> If you want a very short-term workaround, you can probably add "-fPIC" to "$MPICPPFLAGS" in your environment.
>>

> Isn't this just a configure issue? In 1.4.x, MPE's configure is
> invoked with CFLAGS set:

The issue is not that the CFLAGS are unset when MPE's configure is invoked.  The issue is that we no longer have a "$(top_builddir)/bin/mpicc" wrapper script to use when building MPE, so a different code path is taken through MPE's configure.

>>> PS: Will MPICH2 ever provide lib[l]mpe.so in POSIX platforms? Getting
>>> trace files without a recompile is really handy:
>>
>> Probably not.  Doing so would involve a lot of build system work in MPE and we are strapped pretty thin for development bandwidth as it is.  If you personally feel like updating MPE to use automake and libtool then I'd be happy to work with you to integrate such a patch into MPICH2.
>>

> I see. Unfortunately, my skills on autotools is limited. Is there any
> other sub-component that is already using libtool?

Basically all of MPICH2 now except for MPE.  However, MPE probably won't quite look like most of the other build system conversions, since it's a totally separate layer that is intended to live above MPI rather than within/below it.  This is one reason that it was left alone at the time.

-Dave