[mpich2-dev] MPICH2 via mpd via php via apache

Leon Yuhanov leon at philipchun.com
Mon May 9 03:52:45 CDT 2011

I have a curios problem. I have 2 machines configured to run mpd and mpich2 via ubuntu linux server x64. From console i can run mpd and verify that i have a functional ring. I can run jobs as well. I have verified that i can do via root or via a user on the machines. I am developing a project where i need to be able to start mpich2 jobs via a web browser. I have set up apache2 with php5 and use system calls such as :
exec()
passthru()
system()
I have verified that apache is running as a user called 'wwwserveruser' and have set up a .mpd.conf file in the users home directory with the mpd password option. I also have a mpd.conf file in /etc/mpd.conf with the same settings.
If i log in to the machines via SSH i am able to start mpd, verify the ring, and run jobs. Howevr when i call any mpich2 or mpd commands via php system calls they fail with:
<?
echo passthrough("whoami");
echo passthrough("mpdtrace -l");
?>