[mpich2-dev] I can not make MPI recognizes a dual core

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Fri May 21 12:14:10 CDT 2010

On 21 May 2010 14:07, Yessica Brinkmann <yessica.brinkmann at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello.

Hello, Yessica

> I am using MPICH2. I am writing my first program in MPI.

This mailing list is related to DEVELOPMENT of MPICH2, general (and
pretty basic, in your case) user-level questions about MPI should be
directed elsewhere.

> I write the sentences:
> int id;
> MPI_Comm_rank (MPI_COMM_WORLD, & id);
> if (id == 0)
> / * Master task * /
> (
> )
> else
> / * Worker task * /
> (
> )
> And I write other sentences. The issue is that it does not recognize a
> DualCore processor, and takes the machine as it only has one
> processor, indeed, never enters the else.
> I would appreciate very much any help.
> Sincerely,
> Yessica Brinkmann

After compiling your program:

$ mpicc sourcecode.c -o myprogram

you have to run it like this (requires first to "mpdboot"):

$ mpiexec -n 2 ./myprogram

of like this:

$ mpiexec.hydra -n 2 ./myprogram

--