[mpich2-dev] Parent terminates when the spawned child terminates

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 09:48:50 CST 2010

On 16 December 2010 12:36, Pavan Balaji <balaji at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>>> I believe you are right.  For this program, at child exit() time
>>> parent and child are disconnected, and I understand the MPI standard
>>> says that the parent should not be affected. Of course, I'm not a MPI
>>> lawyer, and perhaps I misunderstood the wording...
>>
>> That implies that its a bug? I would benefit from a fix for this..
>
> No, AFAICT the MPI standard doesn't make such claim for spawned processes
> (unlike applications connected using connect/accept). If you want one
> process dying to not kill the remaining processes, you should use
> -disable-auto-cleanup.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. My reading of the first paragraph at
http://www.mpi-forum.org/docs/mpi22-report/node226.htm#Node226,
specifically the sentence below:

"""
Similarly, it might be desirable for a parent and child to disconnect,
so that errors in the child do not affect the parent, or vice-versa.
"""

means to me that the following comments also apply to spawned
processes. Am I missing something?

--
Lisandro Dalcin