[mpich2-dev] Parent terminates when the spawned child terminates

Suraj Prabhakaran suraj.prabhakaran at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 10:18:52 CST 2010

Hello,

By default, when a spawned child terminates (through exit() or
mpi_abort() and *NOT* throught MPI_finalize() ), the parent also
terminates with a message

APPLICATION TERMINATED WITH THE EXIT STRING: Hangup (signal 1)

I am not sure what exactly the standard specifies for such a situation
but it kind of defeats the purpose of parent-child relationship. I would
be glad to know if there is any specific reason why it is implemented
this way and why it should stay this way. If there is no specific
reason, may I request that a work around for this is implemented?

Thanks,
Suraj Prabhakaran