[mpich2-dev] [mpich2-intel] -host option into Hydra

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Dec 8 03:18:01 CST 2010

Hi Yury,

There's currently no plan to make -host local. Using an
executable-specific host list makes a bunch of things cumbersome to deal
with:

1. For dynamic processes, when new processes need to be spawned and we
need to figure out which host to launch it on.

2. When the user is using a resource manager such as SLURM, but uses a
host list for one of the executables, but not the others. The resources
obtained from the resource manager have to be split into multiple segments.

This is not impossible to do; it's just painful to implement and deal
with all the associated bugs, and it didn't seem like a worthwhile
investment of time. Maybe the users can be convinced to use a slightly
newer format? It's not that big a change, is it?

  -- Pavan

On 12/08/2010 02:12 AM, Kiryanov, Yury wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> My question is about the –host option into Hydra PM. Into MPD it was a
> local option, into Hydra it became global.
>
> Do you find it reasonable to make it local as well? Why I’m asking about
> it, there are a significant part of users who get used to –host local
> option and expected the same behavior from Hydra.
>
> If you are already planning to make it local when these changes are
> expected to be?
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
>
> Best regards,
>
> Yury Kiryanov
>
> phone: 8-83130-70700 (ext. 2531)
>
> i-net : 8313-2531
>
> e-mail: yury.kiryanov at intel.com <mailto:yury.kiryanov at intel.com>

> Closed Joint Stock Company Intel A/O
> Registered legal address: Krylatsky Hills Business Park,
> 17 Krylatskaya Str., Bldg 4, Moscow 121614,
> Russian Federation

Pavan Balaji
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~balaji